A Checklist Template is a way to write down the recipe for the services your firm provides. It allows you to standardize your services, creating processes that are repeatable from client to client and team member to team member. Checklist Templates are generally not assigned to any staff person or client and are not scheduled.
To create a new Checklist Template:
- Navigate to Templates > Checklist Templates.
- On the Manage Checklist Templates screen, click the Add New button
- If you want to start with a Library Template, search for it by Summary or Type and then Clone it so you can edit and save it.
- Fill out the Header information as needed (for information on the specific fields, see the grid below). Only a few of the fields are required- everything else is optional. Remember: this is just a template. When you use the template to schedule client work, you'll be able to make changes to any of the information filled in from the template.
- Click the Save & Continue button to save the information and go on to the Edit Aero Template screen where you can edit your template further and create steps.
- On the Edit Aero Template screen, you can add the steps you want your staff to follow when they perform this task. Remember– this is a template of the general procedure. When you use the template to create a task for a specific client, you can edit the steps as needed.
- To create a new step, click the Add new step button.
- Each step has the following information:
- Order: You can type in a step number as you are entering it.
- Complete: This box is checked as each step is completed. Generally, when you are creating steps, this box will remain unchecked.
- Name: A short name for the step.
- Description: A more detailed description of the step.
- Action Link: A URL where some action will be taken during that step.
- Help Link: A URL containing some sort of help document. This can be internal or external.
- SOP Id: The ID number of a Procedure Guide that you have created.
- LIB Id: The Id number of a Procedure Guide from the Aero Library.
- As you are adding steps, click the Save Changes button in the header of the Steps grid to save your work.
- When you are done, click the Save & Close button to save and return to the Manage Checklist Templates screen.
|Category *Required||Choose what kind of checklist template this will be: Task, Meeting, Email, Other (note)|
|Estimated Duration *Required||The estimated time the Aero should take.|
|Set Days To Due Date||If there is a window of time to perform this Aero, specify the number of days in this window here. For example, if you are creating a template to reconcile accounts, you might want the start date to be the first of the month, but your staff actually has 7 days until the task is really due. The Days to Due Date would than be 7.|
|Type||Aero Types are set up by your firm and give you a way to sort and examine your work. For more on Aero Types, check out this blog article. Choose an Aero Type from the dropdown menu or start typing to filter for the one you want.|
|Assigned To||The team member the Aero will be assigned to. When you create an Aero Template, this field is usually left blank- unless there is one team member who always performs this work.|
|Company||The client the Aero is assigned to. When you create a template, this field is most often left blank.|
|Contact||The main contact for that Aero. When you create a template, this field is most often left blank.|
|Priority||The Aero’s priority (Normal, Elevated, Critical). Priority default is Normal.|
|Hat||The type of job ‘hat’ the staff member is wearing for this Aero.|
|Aero Group||The Aero Group this Aero is associated with (choose from the drop-down menu or start typing an Aero Group name to find). When you create a template, this field is most often left blank.|
|Publish Status||The publish status controls whether or not this Checklist Template will be visible in any Advisor accounts you might create. Only Checklist Templates with a status of "Public" will appear in Advisor accounts.|
|Author||You can type in an author's name here. If the template is visible to Advisor accounts, the author's name will be shown.|
|Apps Used||You can list any software apps used in the template. This is informational and can help you organized your templates. You can even get fancy and add app icons in this field!|
|Billable||If the box is checked, the time spent doing the Aero is usually billable.|
|Fixed Fee||Check this box if this Aero will usually be billed on a fixed fee basis.|
|Subject *Required||A short title for the checklist template. This will be displayed on the Aero grids and lists.|
|Comment||A more detailed description of the Aero can be written here (not the actual checklist- you'll add that later). You can also add notes to your staff here if you wish.|